World Mental Health Day, observed on October 10th each year, serves as a poignant reminder of the importance of mental health in our lives, especially in the workplace.
This World Mental Health Day, here at TrakCel, we reaffirm our unwavering commitment to the well-being of our employees. In this blog post, we will delve into some critical statistics and facts surrounding mental health in the workplace and share what we do as an organisation to support our employees’ well-being.
Understanding the Mental Health Landscape in the Workplace
Mental health in the workplace is an issue of global concern. Here are some key statistics that shed light on the gravity of the situation:
Prevalence of Mental Health Disorders: According to the World Health Organization (WHO), depression and anxiety disorders are the leading causes of disability worldwide. Globally, an estimated 12 billion working days are lost every year to depression and anxiety – at a cost of $1 trillion per year in lost productivity (source).
Stress and Burnout: A survey conducted by the American Psychological Association (APA) revealed that work-related stress is a significant concern. Around 77% of employees in the United States reported experiencing work-related stress (source).
Productivity Impact: Mental health issues cost businesses billions of dollars each year. The WHO estimates that for every $1 invested in mental health treatment and support, there is a return of $4 in improved health and productivity (source).
Our Commitment to Employee Mental Health on World Mental Health Day
At TrakCel, we recognize that our employees’ well-being directly impacts our success and growth. We have taken several proactive steps to create a mentally healthy workplace environment:
- Company Doctor and Mental Health Resources: We are proud to offer our employees access to a company doctor who provides confidential consultations and advice. Our company doctor is an integral part of our commitment to early intervention and care. Our employee support scheme includes access to grief counsellors and other support services to offer both practical advice and emotional support.
- Buy and Sell Holiday Scheme: We understand that individual circumstances differ as does the ideal work-life balance. Our innovative buy and sell holiday scheme allows employees to tailor their time off more to their specific needs, promoting a healthier work-life balance.
- Annual Well-Being Day Off: Over the last few years we have introduced a paid annual well-being day, this day off is specifically designed to encourage employees to prioritize self-care, mental health, and overall well-being. We also have a community investment day that allows our team to support a cause that is important to them. For many people, giving something back can be an empowering and validating experience, particularly where the cause is something that matters to them.
- Hybrid Working and Work-from-Home Flexibility: Recognizing the changing dynamics of work, we have embraced hybrid working models and offer the flexibility to work from home. This approach acknowledges the importance of personal comfort and choice in achieving mental well-being.
- Mental Health First Aiders: We’re dedicated to ensuring that help is always available when needed. We have a team of Mental Health First Aiders who are equipped to provide immediate assistance, support, and guidance to employees facing mental health challenges.
How Our Initiatives Make a Difference
Let’s take a closer look at how each of these initiatives contributes to our employees’ mental health:
- Company Doctor and Mental Health Resources
Our company doctor is a trusted ally for employees seeking mental health support. By offering confidential consultations, our employees can address concerns early, reducing the impact on their mental well-being.
Additionally, our company doctor plays a vital role in connecting employees with the appropriate mental health resources, such as therapists, counselors, or support groups. Early intervention can significantly improve outcomes and reduce the severity of mental health issues.
- Buy and Sell Holiday Scheme
Our innovative buy and sell holiday scheme helps employees to take control of their work-life balance. We offer them the ability to buy or sell up to 3 additional days off per year, which can be used as and when they need them.
- Annual Well-Being Day Off
In addition to our buy and sell holiday scheme, we understand that sometimes employees need an extra day off to focus on their well-being without having to use their accrued leave. That’s why we gift each employee a “Well-Being Day Off” annually. A key advantage is that the whole company is off for the same day, reducing the pressure to ‘catch up’ when you return.
Whether employees choose to spend this day indulging in self-care activities, pursuing hobbies, or simply resting, we want them to know that their well-being matters to us, and we support their efforts to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
- Hybrid Working and Work-from-Home Flexibility
In an ever-evolving work landscape, the ability to choose where and how to work is essential for employee well-being. Our commitment to hybrid working models and work-from-home options grants employees the freedom to create an environment that suits their individual needs.
This flexibility minimizes stress associated with commuting and enables employees to strike a balance that supports their mental health.
- Mental Health First Aiders
Our team of Mental Health First Aiders are trained to recognize signs of mental distress, provide immediate support, and guide employees to appropriate resources. By having these trained individuals within our workforce, we ensure that no one has to face mental health challenges alone.
These first aiders play a crucial role in fostering a supportive and stigma-free workplace culture. They promote open conversations about mental health, reducing the barriers to seeking help and support when needed.
Here at TrakCel, we understand the importance of creating a supportive and inclusive work environment that empowers our team to thrive both personally and professionally.
By offering access to a dedicated company doctor, implementing innovative holiday schemes, gifting a well-being day, embracing flexible work arrangements, and training Mental Health First Aiders, we are taking concrete steps to address the mental health challenges faced by our employees.
Our goal is to not only meet their immediate needs but also to create a workplace culture that promotes mental well-being as a fundamental value. But we also understand that there is always more that can be done and as such our management and people teams work closely together and in consultation with the wider team to find out what. We have a number of schemes that are being discussed and trialed and are looking forward to continuing to increase the positive impact we can bring to our teams and their families.
In doing so, we believe that we not only improve the lives of our employees but also contribute to the overall success and sustainability of TrakCel. On this World Mental Health Day, let us join hands in raising awareness, reducing stigma, and ensuring that mental health remains a top priority for us all.
Together, we can make a positive impact on the mental health landscape, one workplace at a time.
Article by TrakCel Marketing Team - 10 Oct 2023